Thursday, March 30, 2006

Happy Friday!

Here's hoping everyone has a cupcake-alicious weekend!

I do have one quick story to tell. We went to a locally owned and I guess, locally famous pizza parlour tonight about 20 minutes from our house. The joint was packed with only one waitress working the floor. She wasn't really rude, but she was definitely not an example of politeness either. About 3/4 of the way through dinner I started thinking about her tip and I realized something. We all expect people to cut us slack when we are having a bad day, but I usually don't provide the same slack to waiters and waitresses helping me in a restaurant. I guess I just always figured that part of their job was acting pleased to see me. But, when I looked at the almost 100 people she was waiting on, by herself, tonight my attitude changed. Then I started thinking about all the ways I can make everybody's day more enjoyable no matter where I am or what I am doing. I guess it just boils down to "Lisa, be kind to others," but for me personally it becomes easy to just focus on my family and myself. My goal is to start trying harder to focus on making a good day for strangers too.

As always, hugs, love and chihuahua kisses.

10 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Blogger Jay said...

You probably improved her day just like that. Also, we shouldn't take it out on waitresses because their bosses didn't book enough help for the night. They're just doing their best. Not too many people take the time to stop and think of that, so good for you.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

I used to be a waitress, and I would have LOVED you as a customer. Some nights it would just be SO HARD to remain all smiles, perky and peppy.

I lost SO MUCH weight at one job from all of the running around! ;)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Kimmy said...

Great post.

You're right... we do expect to be treated like we're the only ones in the restaurant. Make sure I have everything I need... and give it to me before I have to ask.

Yeah... servers have bad days, too. I guess I'm too busy thinking, "You're gonna earn this tip. Do a great job and I'll tip you big, but don't tick me off." I really need to look at it from their prospective.

Thanks for the reminder!

We all need to practice a little more kindness toward others. Kill 'em with kindness... that's my motto ;)

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you - it's hard to look at things from the other side sometimes - give yourself a pat on the back!
Have a great weekend.
Smiles,
Chrissie

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

Gosh you guys--thanks for being so sweet!

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a good person. That is so true. We should be more caring for others and everyone has a bad day.

They shouldn't have to pay for it.

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were right!
Check out todays post.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Buffy said...

One of the most hellacious jobs I've ever had was as a waitress in an Italian ristorante. After living through that job.... a waitress/waiter would have to pretty bad not to get my sympathy...and my 15% tip.

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world would be so much better if everyone took this lesson and went into the world with it. I am going to try, for sure!

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a waitress, and I have to say that many of the people waiting tables today have no concept of service, or of professionalism.

Everyone is allowed to have a bad day. for sure, but for a lot of people, eery day is a bad day!

By the way, I DID have a cupcake-licious weekend! Secret Ingredient Devil's Food Cupcakes, to be exact!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home