Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Clients

I currently work on a part-time contract basis with a state agency, and spend the rest of my time looking for a full time law job. But, with three law school in a scarecly populated state, even my excellent grades and incredible previous work experience are only landing me interviews, and not job offers. Since I'm looking for a full time job, and the type of law I currently do only requires phone meetings with clients, I don't pay for my own office and I work out of the home.

Clients often ask where my office is located and I made the mistake of saying..."I work out of the home so you can usually always reach me on my work cell." This was a mistake because some of my clients call me all the time. Others call and expect me to return their call immediately if not sooner. So, I have recently changed my "office" hours to those of a regular work day. This cut out evening and weekend calls. People are irate! Why, I ask you? When did I become a servant for them at a beck and call? Its partially my own fault because I am a young lawyer who didn't know any better. But, I refuse to take all the blame. Don't these people know common courtesy? For example, its really not necessary to call my work cell at 9:30 at night to find out if I'm still working on their case. Um...hello. Of course I am...that's how I get paid!

I guess, now that I'm writing it all down, I just think its rude. I know that I should have chosen different words, but people should also just know basic respect. I had one client that was upset that I took off for the 4th and didn't call her earlier. She called first thing this morning wanting to know the exact status of her case. Give me a break. I'm sure her husband took off for the 4th to be with them, and I wanted to be with my family as well.

Gosh I'm glad my clients don't know about this blog!

Hugs, love and chihuahua kisses

8 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I'm pretty sure you'll land with a job. I know you're a pretty good lawyer.
Thanks for dropping by.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Crazy clients!

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous eph2810 said...

I have to agree with you. I should be common courtesy to not call after 8pm, not even your lawyer. People should understand that you have a personal life too. I am sure they will get used to your new hours.

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous eph2810 said...

Not 'I' - it should be 'it' - sorry...

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Reverberate58 said...

You are too funny and sooooo young. Never give an inch to others because they will stretch it for miles! And yes that makes them rude and you a nice person! Things will settle down as you figure it all out!

I hope you are having a good day. Want a laugh? Come see my growth through the years!!!

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Melissa said...

You'll get a good job... but I don't think the calls will stop. :)

RYC: Yoga is for breathing and relaxing, power yoga is more stregth training and you sweat a lot. :)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I agree with you. Clients calling at all hours is just plain rude. They have to respect that you have a life.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Melli said...

People don't think ... at all... about OTHER people much anymore. We are a very "me" based society these days! I agree that it is rude. ( i also understand how people in need of legal services could get into a bit of a panic about their stuff getting done...) I don't think that excuses rudeness though! I DO wish you good luck with the job hunt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home