Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Clients

I currently work on a part-time contract basis with a state agency, and spend the rest of my time looking for a full time law job. But, with three law school in a scarecly populated state, even my excellent grades and incredible previous work experience are only landing me interviews, and not job offers. Since I'm looking for a full time job, and the type of law I currently do only requires phone meetings with clients, I don't pay for my own office and I work out of the home.

Clients often ask where my office is located and I made the mistake of saying..."I work out of the home so you can usually always reach me on my work cell." This was a mistake because some of my clients call me all the time. Others call and expect me to return their call immediately if not sooner. So, I have recently changed my "office" hours to those of a regular work day. This cut out evening and weekend calls. People are irate! Why, I ask you? When did I become a servant for them at a beck and call? Its partially my own fault because I am a young lawyer who didn't know any better. But, I refuse to take all the blame. Don't these people know common courtesy? For example, its really not necessary to call my work cell at 9:30 at night to find out if I'm still working on their case. Um...hello. Of course I am...that's how I get paid!

I guess, now that I'm writing it all down, I just think its rude. I know that I should have chosen different words, but people should also just know basic respect. I had one client that was upset that I took off for the 4th and didn't call her earlier. She called first thing this morning wanting to know the exact status of her case. Give me a break. I'm sure her husband took off for the 4th to be with them, and I wanted to be with my family as well.

Gosh I'm glad my clients don't know about this blog!

Hugs, love and chihuahua kisses

7 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I'm pretty sure you'll land with a job. I know you're a pretty good lawyer.
Thanks for dropping by.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Amanda Fortney said...

Crazy clients!

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you. I should be common courtesy to not call after 8pm, not even your lawyer. People should understand that you have a personal life too. I am sure they will get used to your new hours.

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not 'I' - it should be 'it' - sorry...

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll get a good job... but I don't think the calls will stop. :)

RYC: Yoga is for breathing and relaxing, power yoga is more stregth training and you sweat a lot. :)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I agree with you. Clients calling at all hours is just plain rude. They have to respect that you have a life.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Melli said...

People don't think ... at all... about OTHER people much anymore. We are a very "me" based society these days! I agree that it is rude. ( i also understand how people in need of legal services could get into a bit of a panic about their stuff getting done...) I don't think that excuses rudeness though! I DO wish you good luck with the job hunt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home