Monday, May 11, 2009

Money for Nothin' and Chicks for Free

For those of you that work, I've decided that we should all work for free. You know, go to work, have bosses take advantage of us, work long hours and do it all for free.

As an attorney, people get really mad, offended and upset if I mention that part of the reason why I do my job is for the money. Like they don't go to their job for the money. Sure, I like to help people but I also like to pay my mortgage and buy my girls outfits. Why, because I have a degree that "helps people" am I supposed to work for nothing? When you think about it, all of our jobs help people in some capacity and most of us get paid for them.

Law school was three years of heinous war crimes. It was horrible. Every second of it. On good days I studied roughly 10 hours per day and that's just for school--not for the bar exam. That's a completely different animal of its own.

As an attorney, my days are filled heatedly read aggressively and not without yelling negotiating with other attorneys because our clients have gotten themselves into some kind of mess. Do I ever take clients for free? Yes! Do I ever comp billable hours. Every month! But, my clients don't go to work without a paycheck. Why should I?

Tonight in ballet some girl looked at me like I was, in fact, a war criminal when I said that the money was part of the reason why I did my job. I mean seriously. A V.E.R.Y. dirty look. I've decided to make it one of my life's missions to deliberately bring it up that I don't want to work for free. Even for those of us that really like our jobs, if we weren't getting paid I doubt we'd spend 40+ hours per week doing it. Sure, we might spend part of that time, but I for sure wouldn't be pulling my 60 hour weeks.

Ugh. I'm so mad.

hugs, love and money grubbing chihuahua kisses

7 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Don't let them get you down - it's just like you said, we all do our work for $, or some other reward (if you're a stay-at-home mom). Obviously different education paths have different rewards monetarily, and that's just part of life.

Don't let the haters get you down. :)

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Maribeth said...

That is totally ridiculous! Who doesn't do their job for the money? I mean, we'd all love to stay home, in our bathrobes, cuddling puppies all day, but the real world calls, doesn't it?
You rock Princess and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Zeus said...

I certainly think my human pet should be making way more than she does. I don't quite understand how society can justify not investing in its future by keeping pay low for educators but promoting big business by paying six figure salaries. I'm right there with you, though, Miss Princess!

We got your package yesterday so stop by the blog to check it out! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful gifts! :)

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I think people have insane expectations for high paying professions. I don't think it's great to have it as your only reason, but even people do things like that and come out fine. All that work... all the time - and sacrifice. I really hear ya!!!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger sprinkles said...

The ONLY reason I've stayed at my last 2 jobs is for the $. I certainly wouldn't be doing either of them for free. I don't like my current job at all and am quietly looking for another one. The only reason I'm staying is for the money. If I could afford to, I'd walk away in a heart beat but I don't have any other money coming in.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Sarah K. said...

I think its crazy people would give you a hard time about it. Clearly they were just jealous!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Eva Caprichosa said...

You're so right... My boss once went mad when I said that I work for money. He looked at me as if that was the craziest thing he's ever heard.
As if I was gonna go into work for free...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home