Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Brigade Moms

Do you guys know anybody that would qualify to be a "brigade mom?" The criteria are quite specific, and are as follows:

1. You must truly believe in your heart of hearts that your child we be seriously hurt if they get too dirty outside.

2. You are constantly rubbing things off your elementary age child's face.

3. You can only talk about your child and how wonderful he/she is to other moms.

At the wedding last weekend I experienced my share of brigade moms. It seemed that their children never looked good enough for pictures, and I even had one mom ask me right in front of her daughter to confirm how bad her daughter looked. Maybe I'm just too anti-brigade, but she looked fine to me. When I told the mom that I thought the daughter looked fine mom asked me again to confirm her daughter's ugly-ducklingness to her face. Alas. I again said the daughter looked fine and the mom stormed off.

Beware of brigade moms peeps!

hugs, love and chihuahua kisses

9 Comments:

At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My stars!! That poor child's self-esteem must be quite low if her momma does things like that frequently...how sad!!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Maribeth said...

That poor girl. How cruel!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger FruitfulSpirit said...

What a mean mother! That poor girl will be scarred for life. Really some moms just don't think, they just react with no thoughts what so ever! Brigade moms is a term I have never heard before! But I have seen lots of them through my days working in daycare. Truely sad!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

that poor little girl. that mom needs a good smack upside the head.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Amy said...

i hope i NEVER do that and if i do that someone will HURT me!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Just Nancy said...

I sat with a mother and father at the reception after an award ceremony at which their daughter and ours had each been given a scholarship to that Catholic high school. Those parents were divorced and I didn't know the mother well. The father and daughters had been Indian Princesses with my husband and daughter. I knew that the father didn't want the divorce. Anyway, At the reception, the mother sat with her daughters on either side of her and said that she told a co-worker that "my children disappoint me every day." I just stared at her and wondered what kind of mother said that kind of thing, especially with the children right next to her.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Zeus said...

I have never heard this term before, but now I have a term to describe all these women I run into! I cannot believe this mother asked you to confirm such a horrible thing in front of her own daughter!

I'm too blunt to put up with things like that. I think I may have said something unkind to her and thus, embarassing her in front of her own daughter.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some Mommies forget that kids sometimes just need to be kids.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Yikes, that kid's going to have issues. Moms like that are way too intense for me...!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home