Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dinner Party

So, I'm at this dinner party Saturday night with a few of our friends in my husband's home town. I was excited because this set of friends is always really fun to hang out with. Little did I know that one of "those people" were going to be at the party. Who are "those people" you may ask...

We've all met them. We all know them. We've all had dinner parties where they are there. "That person" is that guy or girl in the group that just has to play devil's advocate. Everything you say, even about the most non-controversial subjects, turns into a debate. Everything!

Why do people feel the need to do this? Are these people that devoid of attention that they try to start a "discussion" about everything that comes up across the dinner table, or is the fact that my husband hates the taste of cheese really that controversial?

Hugs, love and chihuahua kisses

7 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Maribeth said...

I hate that. And unfortunately I've known waaay too many people like that.
When we moved to the stix I decided that I would just hang with people who weren't like that. So far, so good.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

I don't know, one's taste in cheese is always open for debate. :)

People just like to hear themselves talk.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh... one of THOSE people... grr. That stinks. Those people infuriate me!! I have a short temper though...lol.

Yeah, this poison ivy is going to be the death of me. :) I'm such a baby. I was thinking... when I'm back to my smooth non oozing self, we need to get together!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Just Nancy said...

My husband's brother in law is a guy who knows about everything. No matter what is mentioned, he knows something about it. Oh, I take that back, I told him I was at a romance writers' meeting right before we met for dinner and he asked me what romance writers talk about because ALL THE WRITERS HE KNOWS are pretty depressed people. He talked non-stop throughout the lunch held after his mother in law's mother' funeral. Literally, NON-STOP!!!! My daughter and I finally left, taking my baby home for his nap, leaving my husband to stay with his mom. My daughter could have stayed (she was 14) but she wanted to get away from Uncle Talk-A-Lot.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Spock said...

He doesn't like dheese????? Have you had him checked to make sure he's REALLY human?

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

I know just what you mean!!! And thing is, most times, they really DON'T think before they speak!! And I just abhor this kind. They should stay at home and bicker with someone else instead of ruining everyone's good times!!

Well said!!!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot stand that. I especially hate it when people tell you that they are doing it..."I'm just playing devil's advocate here." If you realize you are doing it, get control of yourself and PLEASE STOP!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home