Thursday, November 30, 2006

Elevator Flirting

You'd think, as an attorney, that I would really like rules. You know, one of those people that is in bed everynight at the same time, lunch at 11:30 on the dot, dinner at 7, etc. I'm not. I do like the rules of the law because a lot of attorneys don't bother to read them and I do, which puts me ahead of the game.

But, lately, I've been thinking a lot about rules in life. Sure, we should probably go the speed limit to avoid tickets, drinking too much does cause one to worship at the water hole all night, taxes are due on April 15, no smoking under 18 etc. But, what about the rules we make for ourselves?

Not rules like "we don't run, jump or throw things in the house," but rules that limit who we are and what we can become. How often do we not speak up for ourselves or an idea because of what someone might think--or because we think it might not be socially acceptable.

I've really been coming out of some sort of shell lately. I'm not really sure where this infamous shell was hiding because I've always been pretty outgoing, or, at least not at all shy. I've made it a point in my life lately to avoid rules and break the mold.

I still plan on paying my taxes by April 15, but I've sure handed out my share of business cards in elevators, lines at the grocery store, the library.

8 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

you go girl! i had to get some personal cards made, since i don't have any from work.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Renee Nefe said...

Here from Carmen's party. Perhaps your gift should be some printing?

http://www.mycopyguy.com/1000BusinessCards.html

Happy holidays and I hope the business card thing works out for you.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Bobkat said...

Hi. I totally agree with you - sometimes the rules that society puts on us, and those we impose on ourselves are the most limiting as they stop us from being who we are! I'm right with you and have been casting off my shell bit by bit for quite a while.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm really ahppy you like my NYC pics - I'll be posting some more soon! I loved it there and absolutely intend to go back soon.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Tigersan said...

What are rules ;)

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Holly Schwendiman said...

Oh boy I'm happy to have found you! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting today. I want to go to law school so "attorney" caught my eye. I think I'd go into family law as I'm an adoptive mom and do a lot with adoption as it is, so that caught my eye. I love little dogs and had a chihuahua as a young girl, so that caught my eye, and this entire post is one I think I could have written....need I go on?

Hugs,
Holly
Holly's Corner

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Katherine Hepburn once said: "If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun."

I actually have a card of that quote framed and hung on my wall...just as a reminder, not that I really need it LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home